Working in Partnership
Regular contact with referrers ensures that they remain well informed on students’ attendance, progress and engagement with the placement. Close collaboration between UMSC and the referrer enables a joined-up approach to the provision students are offered on their non-UMSC days, highlighting opportunities where UMSC can support students with qualifications they are working towards through school.
Students are usually referred to UMSC by schools and local authorities and at times, agencies such as Youth Offending Teams and Social Services. An initial referral is made by contacting the Head Teacher.
- All families are invited to visit the school prior to any formal admissions process. Acceptance on a UMS placement is subject to a successful interview where the young person, their referrer and a parent or carer discuss and agree on expectations and boundaries.
- Referrers will receive frequent updates on progress and behaviour and open, two-way communication is encouraged.
- Each term, referrers receive a progress report and are encouraged to attend a review where further discussion takes place and plans are made for the next steps.
- All students will be offered a tailored program of intervention, mentoring and follow up as appropriate to support the return to their mainstream school or to start a new placement.
- In the lead-up to the end of a placement, support for onward transition is provided. In the last week, a final review takes place and referrers are invited, along with parents or carers, to finalise the transition plan.