At UMSC we regularly work with young people who have particular educational, social, emotional and behavioural needs.
- Our staff teams are trained to work with students with a variety of learning needs and to differentiate work accurately and effectively, based on strong initial and ongoing assessment.
- Our small groups and high staff-students ratios provide a setting for nurturing to take place. This means that we can tailor the curriculum and level of support for each individual, allowing every student to make progress and achieve success.
- Our learning environment is structured with clear boundaries. UMSC’s agreed behaviour principles are established with students and are set out in a ‘contract’ that everyone signs at the start of the placement. Staff, parents and the young people identify and set targets in areas that cause issues for them using our Behaviour for Learning assessment and support is then provided to help them improve.
- Staff employ strategies that promote and consistently recognise positive behaviour, with sanctions for unacceptable behaviour that are clear and consistent. Students are helped to learn that their choices carry consequences and in many cases they begin to modify their behaviour accordingly.
- Students are supervised at all times whilst at the school.
- Students are expected to attend all sessions (morning and afternoon), unless absence has been authorised. We believe that good attendance is key to achievement and we work hard with our students and their families to overcome any barriers to good attendance.